Anxiety is a very real epidemic that holds many of us captive. We hide it in the darkest corner of our closet like a secret, because if the hold it had on our life were to be known so would our fears and insecurities.
As a child I used to have stress dreams nightly that would look to others like night terrors. I was an elementary child, who should of had absolutely nothing to stress about, I could not figure out what was wrong with me. Later in my life I began to understand that I was wired to have a catalytic sense of urgency where I desire to accomplish much in a day. In my little self, I was trying to find out what was wrong with me ... now I'm discovering what is right with me.
We can self-implicate much of our anxiety. We can analyze our weaknesses like footage of the past that is doomed to repeat. We can push ourselves away from our God-given destiny because we aren't worthy. We can create our own paralysis with the lies that we feed ourselves. And then, the Devil wins.
Here's the truth:
1. You are weak. BUT, greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world! (1 John 4:4) I am a woman who can be broken, whose life is but a wave upon the shore. However, God empowers me to something extraordinary, to make my life substantially count.
2. There are forces out there that want you to amount to nothing. The Devil is out there to kill, steal, & destroy. (John 10:10)
3. You are beautifully and wonderfully made! God didn't mess up when He made you. (Psalm 139:14)
Here's how we become overcomers:
1. Get battle ready! If you have allowed the whispers of the enemy into your soul for some time, then it might be a longer war, but well worth the fight! It's time to pray on your armor each day and start karate chopping those negative thoughts every time they enter your mind. Dig into the scriptures so that you can be combative with the truth claimed over you! (Ephesians 6)
2. Search for the bottom of your iceberg. Ladies, we are very complex beings. There is rarely an issue on the surface without a myriad of issues below where no one can see. It's time for some self-exploration to see why the anxiety has control over an area of your life. My three year old is constantly asking “why, mommy” to my every response. Don’t allow your feelings to just sit without digging deep into the why. If you have trouble searching it out, confide in a family member, close friend, or counselor to help you find your why. The Titanic didn’t sink because of the visible iceberg, but what lied underneath the water.
3. Discover what is right with you. It’s a natural response to live in fear about what is wrong about us. Embracing a mentality of finding out what is right about you allows you to stand up to the enemy’s lies. For example, let’s say you are having extreme anxiety over losing another job. By changing your mindset to, “I am a women who wants to provide for her family because I am passionate about them. I am and will be the best employee this company has. I am loved by an amazing Father who will always meet my needs while I am serving Him. I will not live in fear of the unknown.” When we create a world full of hope, there is no room for despair.
4. Lay it at the cross and leave it! Leaving it is just as important as laying it down. If you still feel the heavy burden then you are still carrying it around. Sometimes physical practices can help our heart release the emotions necessary. I remember a moment I was desperate for God to hear my prayer. My intense emotion had taken over into anxiety. I went into an open field, tied my prayer to a balloon, and let it go. I had to let go and let God. Not that the anxiety disappeared immediately, but it allowed me to realize that with God I had power over my emotions to put them in check with His truth.
Anxiety can cripple us. It can start as a small thought, but as we feed it with focus on the lie, it can be something that controls us, something that we consider truth. God desires for us to be free in Him. Free to run as fast as we can after the beautiful journey He has set before us.
Scriptures on anxiety:
- & so many more…
(There can be some cases when medical/professional help, combined with the scriptures, can be an integral part of healing.)